The main common theme between LED and Neon is that they are both a source of light for signs, but that is just about it when it comes to their similarities end. We will give a brief description of each Pros and Cons here.
The Benefits of LED Display Signs
LED Stands for Light Emitting Diode, which is basically a semiconductor that produces light. LED are used in our everyday lives, such as cars, watches, calculators, etc. Below is a list of benefits of LED Display Signs provided by the Project Management team at Ortwein Sign.
- Extremely long bulb life (100,000 + hours)
- High light output with low voltage input
- Very low maintenance
- Extremely durable
- Unlimited color options
- Doesn’t use mercury or any other toxic chemicals to produce light
- Low power consumption
- Up front costs invested in future proofing
- Some are somewhat directional (focused beam)
- As with anything, there are cheaper/less reliable brands
- Some higher wattage LED’s run hot and need a heatsink
The Benefits of Neon Signs
Neon is a low pressure gas inside a glass tube with an electrode at each end of that tube. When high voltage is connected to the electrodes, it charges the gas to a point that it gives off light that can be seen. Neon signs has a long history, having been used for nearly a century. As an established technology, it’s reliable. Many believe that neon light is more aesthetically pleasing. It gives off a much “warmer” light than LED lights do.
- Wide operating ranges
- Sometimes they don’t need a special power supply
- Can run on AC or DC
- Can be made into custom shapes
- “Old school” look and feel cannot be duplicated
- They output very little light for amount of power required
- Limited colors available based on gas and glass color configurations
- The glass tubes can be fragile
- Generally only one color can be used at a time
- Very high maintenance costs
- One small crack and the entire piece is broken
Ortwein Signs Can Help You!
These are just a few things to give you an idea of the good and the bad of each. In the sign world there is a time and place for LED and Neon lighting and at Ortwein Signs our expert staff can help you choose which is right for you. To learn more about LED and Neon displays and how they can be useful for your business, contact us here! We have offices in Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville to serve all of your buisness needs.